Born in 1845 after a secret recipe never disclosed, up to today kept by the family and unchanged with time; it is, in fact, a case history in the trade. Always referred to as "the digestive", it is the perfect drink to those who enjoy extending an evening's pleasures.
The secret of its unique, unmistakable taste lies in the wise recipe: 27 herbs picked in 4 continents and aged in oak casks for over a year.
- Aloes: a natural source of a great deal of important nutritional elements. Antioxydant Aloes has revitalizing properties;
- Gentian root: it grows in the mountains.
- Dried, it is a real natural "pick-me-up" with a characteristic bitterish taste;
- Rhubarb: a tonic and depurative;
- Gum Myrrh: anti-inflammatory, antiseptic and antibactrial properties;
- Red Cinchona bark: a natural tonic
and other exotic spices such as Colombus, Galanga and Zedoary.
Thanks to its dry and clean taste, it can be mixed in unexpected ways, such as the following:
2 cl Fernet Branca; 3 cl Carpano Vermouth Bianco; 3 cl Carpano Classico; 4 cl sweet carbonated orange juice. Serve in an Old Fashion glass filled with ice. Decorate with half a slice of orange and a tuft of pennyroyal.
Fernet is made from a number of herbs and spices which vary according to the brand, but usually include myrrh, rhubarb, chamomile, cardamom, aloe, and especially saffron, with a base of grape distilled spirits, and colored with caramel coloring.